Baked Ham Recipe with NingXia Red Juice, Orange and Black Pepper Essential Oils
This baked ham recipe was created by Chef Kate and features Young Living orange essential oil and NingXia Red juice.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Baking Time: 3 hours
Full leg ham
½ cup Marmalade
½ cup Honey or Young Living Blue Agave
60 ml NingXia Red Juice (reserve 30 ml)
150 g Butter or coconut oil
½ tsp. Ground cloves
½ tsp. Orange zest
3-6 drops Young Living Orange essential oil
Whole cloves for decorating the ham (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Prepare a large roasting pan by lining with baking paper and rubbing with butter or coconut oil.
2. Remove the ham from packaging and pat dry with paper towels. On the shank end of the ham leg, cut the rind in a zigzag pattern lightly through the skin. Carefully remove the rind from the fat end of the leg. Slide your hand under the rind, leaving the fat intact on the meat. This leaves a nice rough surface on the fat which will hold the glaze. Start at the big end, run your hands under the skin to separate it from the fat and remove the skin.
3. Score the fat in a diamond pattern. Make sure to score into the fat lightly and not into the meat. Place the ham in the prepared roasting pan.
4. In a medium-sized saucepan, heat marmalade, honey (or Blue Agave), 30 ml NingXia Red®, butter (or coconut oil), ground cloves, orange zest, 3 drops of Black Pepper essential oil and 3 drops of Orange essential oil on medium high heat. Stir until the ingredients blend together and the butter is melted, then remove from heat.
5. Using a pastry brush, coat the ham well with the glaze. Use the leftover glaze for basting the ham while it is cooking. Arrange the whole cloves in a pattern about 7.5 – 10 cm apart, sticking them right into the ham.
6. Place the ham in the oven, then bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until heated through and the edges are crispy and golden brown. If the ham browns too quickly, cover the ham with a sheet of baking paper until heated through.
7. Then, reduce the oven temperature to 160°C and cook for a further 2 ½ hours. Baste the ham frequently during cooking - every 15 minutes or so if you can. Allow to rest before carving. Finish with culinary essential oils, then serve and enjoy.
FINISH WITH ESSENTIAL OILS: Finish with Orange essential oil to add a fresh burst of flavour. Place the reserved 30 ml NingXia Red® or melted butter in a small bowl, then add remaining 2 – 3 drops of Orange essential oil and brush over the ham.
Where to Buy Food Grade Essential Oils in Australia?
Which Essential Oils can be used with Food?
See a full list of 35 food grade essential oils in Australia here.