Gluten Free Rich Choc Mousse Cake Recipe with Orange Essential Oil
This Rich Choc Mousse Cake Recipe was created by Chef Kate.
This gluten-free recipe is absolutely delicious and great for holiday entertaining. It’s the lighter version of one of Chef Kates favourite classic French desserts, Chocolate Mousse Torte. This cake is seriously worth the little extra time and effort it takes to make. The torte tastes amazing with Young Living’s Orange or Rose essential oils mixed into the batter before baking. Remember, a little Rose essential oil goes a long way, and is delicious in chocolate!
Rich Choc Mousse Cake Recipe with Orange Essential Oil
Serves 10 - 12
Prep Time 20 min.
Baking Time 30 - 40 min.
500 g 70% dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup Butter or coconut oil
9 Large eggs, separated
¾ cup Coconut sugar (for egg yolks)
2 tbsp. Coconut sugar (for egg whites)
2 tbsp. Honey or maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 170ºC. Line a 23 cm diameter spring-form pan with baking paper and generously rub with butter or coconut oil.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler or in a pan set over boiling water. Be careful not to get any water in the chocolate mixture, or it will harden. Stir well to combine and remove from heat.
3. In a bowl, add the egg yolks and ¾ cup of coconut sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until very thick. Then, gently add the egg yolks to the chocolate mixture and combine well.
4. Combine the egg whites and 2 tbsp. of coconut sugar, then beat until they form soft peaks. Then gently fold the egg whites into the mixture and gently mix.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 30 - 40 minutes until edges are firm but the centre still jiggles. Cool the cake on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before removing from the pan.
6. Remove the sides of the pan and baking paper and gently slide the cake onto a serving plate. Top the cake with whipped cream, ice cream or yoghurt, a few berries and some raspberry coulis.
NOTE: The cake needs to cool for 1 hour before removing from the pan. However, if you can’t resist, you can always scoop up yummy, warm spoonfuls and serve with some sweetened whipped cream or flavoured ice cream.
FINISHING WITH CULINARY ESSENTIAL OILS: Try adding 2 - 3 drops of Young Living Orange essential oil to the whipped cream or ice cream. Alternatively, you can also add a hint of Young Living Rose essential oil by using the toothpick method. Dip a toothpick directly into the bottle of Rose essential oil, and then swirl it into the whipped cream or ice cream and stir well.
1 cup Raspberries (frozen then thawed, or fresh)
2-3 tbsp. Honey or maple syrup, to taste
¼ cup Filtered or spring water
2 drops Young Living Lemon essential oil, to taste
Makes 1 cup “This raspberry coulis is wonderful with cakes or poured over ice cream and non-dairy ice creams. Try adding it to yoghurt for a delicious swirl of flavour. It’s also great in champagne or sparkling fruit juice. Adding 1-2 drops of Young Living Lemon essential oil really makes the flavours pop!”
1. Place the ingredients in the blender and blend until well combined. You may need to add some more water while blending, but add it gradually as too much will make the coulis too thin.
2. Strain out the seeds and check for sweetness. Add a little more honey or maple syrup if needed and refrigerate for up to 4 days. You can freeze the coulis for up to 1 month and thaw when needed.
More Food Recipes with Edible Essential Oils
Where to Buy Food Grade Essential Oils in Australia?
Looking for edible orange essential oil, edible lemon essential oil and edible rose essential oil in Australia. Buy food grade orange essential oil, food grade lemon oil and food grade rose essential oil here.
Which Essential Oils can be used with Food?
See a full list of 35 food grade essential oils in Australia here.