Chocolate Brownies Recipe with Frankincense Essential Oil
Chocolate Brownies with Frankincense Essential Oil
This chocolate brownie recipe features Young Living frankincense essential oil. Or, instead of using frankincense oil, you can use lavender, orange or cardamom essential oil instead. This recipe is by Chef Kate.
These brownies are a real treat! They are great on their own or make a wonderfully impressive dessert served topped with ice cream, a few toasted nuts or berries and a little drizzle of chocolate and/or raspberry sauce. You can also freeze some of them to eat later, but they are so good I never end up freezing them.
TIP These brownies are supposed to be a little gooey in the middle so don’t overbake them. The frankincense essential oil gives them a delightful flavour twist which I really enjoy, however you can use others oils, if you prefer. Here are a few suggestions to try; a few drops of Young Living orange essential oil, 1 drop of lavender essential oil or 1 – 2 drops of cardamom essential oil. Prep Time: 20 minutes Servings: 12 Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes
1 cup butter (room temp.)
1 cup each of organic white and brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract or essence
2 drops Young Living frankincense essential oil (to taste)
1½ cups chocolate chips, melted (milk and/or dark chocolate)
1¼ cups organic all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour mix)
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips (reserve for topping brownies)
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC and line a baking tin (approx. 22.8cm x 30.4cm) with baking paper.
2. Melt the 1½ cups of chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a pan over a simmering pan of water. Be careful not to get any water in the chocolate. Once melted leave over the hot water to keep warm until ready to use.
3. Using an electric mixer, combine the butter, white sugar and brown sugars together until creamy. You can also mix the brownies entirely by hand for a little workout.
4. Add eggs, vanilla and frankincense essential oil (or your essential oil of choice such as orange essential oil, lavender essential oil or cardamom essential oil) and mix well. Then add the melted chocolate and mix well and set aside.
5. In a large bowl mix together the flour, sea salt and baking powder. Then slowly fold in the wet mixture by hand and mix well.
6. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking tin and bake for approx. 20 minutes. Check and cover loosely with baking paper so they do not burn. Continue baking until the insides are a bit firmer for approx. 5 – 10 minutes longer. They should still be a little gooey, soft and chewy in the middle.
7. Remove from oven and sprinkle over the reserved 1 cup of chocolate chip and as they melt smooth them over the top of the brownies with a spatula. Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate chips pour over the brownie and spread around the top or drizzle the melted chocolate over the brownies after they have cooled a little forming a kind of lacy pattern. Allow them to cool before cutting into pieces.
8. You can also serve some of them warm from the oven topped with ice cream and a little melted chocolate. The brownies will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container or you can freeze for up to 1 month.
Where to Buy Food Grade Essential Oils in Australia?
Looking for edible frankincense essential oil, edible orange essential oil, edible cardamom essential oil in Australia. Buy food grade frankincense essential oil and food grade cardamom essential oil here
Which Essential Oils can be used with Food?
See a full list of 38 food grade essential oils in Australia here.