Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe with Orange Essential Oil
This Vegan Chocolate Cake with Frosting features Young Living orange essential oil.
This cake is moist and has a beautiful citrusy flavour from Young Living’s Orange essential oil. The white chocolate frosting is a thick glaze and sets when cool giving the perfect crunch to your cake. You can also use chocolate chips, if you prefer in place of the white chocolate chips for a rich chocolate orange frosting.
The orange essential oil is added to baked goods for an acidic contrast to the sweetness of desserts and baked goods.
TIP Try using a little peppermint or spearmint essential oil in place of the orange oil or for a refreshing minty flavour for a special occasion and stirring well to combine.
Serving Size 16 slices Prep Time 35 minutes Cook Time 40 minutes Total Time 1 hour, 15 minutes
1¼ cup self-rising gluten-free flour or regular self-rising flour
½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup cacao powder
½ tsp sea salt
1 cup coconut milk or milk of choice (room temp.)
½ cup maple syrup, agave syrup or honey
½ cup melted coconut oil or butter
1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla essence
6 drops Young Living orange essential oil (to taste)
White Chocolate & Orange Frosting Ingredients
1½ cups white chips (non-dairy for vegan)
½ cup coconut cream (stirred well)
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tsp grated orange rind/zest
pinch of sea salt (optional, to taste)
6 drops Young Living Orange Essential Oil (to taste)
Method for Base
1. Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a 20cm round backing tin by rubbing a thin layer of coconut oil around the inside of the pan and line with baking paper.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a medium-large bowl and set aside. Then mix all the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl right before you are ready to add to the dry ingredients.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined and then pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and smooth the surface a little with a spoon or spatula.
4. Bake for approx. 35 – 40 minutes until the cake is completely set and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out pretty clean or with few moist crumbs.
5. Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin. To remove the cake from the tin gently slide a butter knife between the tin and the cake loosening it from the sides and then turn out onto a cooling rack, cake stand or platter.
6. Let the cake cool completely before adding the frosting.
Method for Frosting
1. Using a double boiler on medium heat with water in the bottom pan or bain-marie (a pan filled a little over ¼ of the way with simmering water and a metal or heat-proof glass bowl on top) add the white chocolate chips, coconut cream, coconut oil, orange zest and salt and gently stir all the ingredients together until the white chocolate has melted and there are no lumps approx. 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes then add the orange essential oil and stir to combine.
2. Let the frosting set for a few minutes then spoon over the top of the cake and gently smooth out over the top, allowing the frosting to spill over the sides then smooth around the sides to cover. Top the cake with white chocolate chips and/or orange slices.
This recipe is by Chef Kate.
Where to Buy Food Grade Essential Oils in Australia?
Which Essential Oils can be used with Food?
See a full list of 38 food grade essential oils in Australia here.