Mexican Casserole Recipe with Coriander, Black Pepper and Thyme Essential Oil
This is a tasty, delightful casserole is great for a family dinner or when guests drop by. Created by Chef Kate, this recipe features Young Living’s Coriander, Black Pepper and Thyme essential oils to add a wonderful Mexican twist to this dish.
Serves 6 - 8
Prep Time 25 - 35 minutes
2 tbsp. Olive oil
500g Beef or chicken mince
1 Small onion, finely chopped
1 Carrot, finely chopped
1 Zucchini, finely chopped
½ cup Corn
¼ cup Pumpkin seeds (reserve 1 tbsp.)
1 tsp. Cumin seeds
½ tsp. Ground cumin
1 tsp. Salt and ground pepper
400g can Kidney or black beans, drained
300g jar Salsa
1- 2 tbsp. Honey, to taste
3 tbsp. Coriander or parsley, chopped Optional
Young Living Thyme essential oil, to taste using the Toothpick Method
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and choose a suitable casserole dish.
2. Heat a large sauté pan on medium-to-high heat and add the olive oil. Then, add the beef or chicken mince and cook for 5 minutes while stirring and breaking up the mince continuously.
3. Add the onions, carrots, zucchini and corn and keep stirring and cooking for 5 minutes.
4. Add the cumin seeds, pumpkin seeds, ground cumin, salt and pepper, salsa, honey and coriander or parsley (optional) and stir well to combine. If the salsa is too solid, add a small amount of water so that the mixture is moist enough for the tortillas to absorb the liquid.
5. Remove from heat and add the Coriander and Black Pepper essential oils. Then, use the Toothpick Method outlined below for adding the Thyme essential oil.
6. Spoon approximately 1 cup of the mixture into the casserole dish, covering the bottom in a thin layer, then cover with 2 - 3 tortillas. The tortillas may need to be cut to fit correctly. Lastly, sprinkle with cheese.
7. Repeat Step 6 until you have filled the casserole dish, ending with a layer of cheese. Sprinkle reserved pumpkin seeds on top and then bake for 30 – 40 minutes - until the cheese is golden. If the casserole is browning too quickly, cover the dish with baking paper.
8. Serve and enjoy with some salsa and sour cream.
Tip: Assembling this Mexican casserole is a lot like making a lasagna - except tortillas are used in place of pasta. The casserole can also be made a day in advance and cooked the following day.
Toothpick Method : Thyme essential oil has a strong flavour, so use the toothpick method to control the intensity. Dip a toothpick into the bottle of Thyme essential oil, and then stir it through the casserole ingredients. If you desire a stronger flavour, use a clean toothpick and repeat.
Where to Buy Food Grade Essential Oils in Australia?
Looking for edible black pepper essential oil, edible thyme essential oil and edible coriander essential oil in Australia. Buy food grade black pepper essential oil here, food grade thyme oil here and food grade coriander essential oil here.
Which Essential Oils can be used with Food?
See a full list of 35 food grade essential oils in Australia here.